Organization and style are closely related. A pleasant basic order, sweetened with a little personality, results in the perfect shelf decoration. Turn your shelf with beautiful accessories into a unique eye catcher! Whether in the living room, in the bedroom or in the kitchen ─ an open shelf can always be beautifully decorated without being messy. Appealingly designed, give your favorite decorative treasures and personal memorabilia a worthy place on your shelf. Discover the decorating ideas of our interior experts and be inspired!
The different types of shelves and how to decorate them
- There are floating shelves relationship white Wall shelveswhich, as the name suggests, are only attached to the wall and do not touch the floor. Since they are usually small, they are only suitable for smaller decorative elements and plants.
- There are classic ones bookshelves – here it is recommended to really decorate with books. Arrange them according to colors and drape them visually. Of course, other decorative objects can complement the arrangement.
- Also Kitchen shelves are an important element in the home. Arrange your kitchen items decoratively and set accents with decorative accessories.
- There is the popular one String shelf. You can make this yourself flexible. We recommend using it for books, pure decoration or plants.
- Modular shelf are particularly practical. Like the string shelf, they can be flexibly arranged and designed. You are just as flexible in its design.
- At free standing shelves special care must be taken that they look good on both sides. For this, also choose suitable decorative objects!
- Shelves are particularly popular shelves in the living room and are sometimes supplemented with a television. Here too you have a free hand. Just don’t overload the large shelf.
- A Pocket shelf is particularly practical for small rooms or as a supplement. Use it also for smaller decorations.
- Shelves from wine boxes are particularly popular as DIY shelves for a cool or natural touch – decorate them that way too! With plants or decorative objects made of metal as a contrast.
Tips and rules for decorating the shelf
Similar tips apply to decorating shelves as to decorating a chest of drawers:
- Less is more: Never overload shelves – too much looks messy quickly.
- Flowers and plants always go: Because they give every apartment a natural touch and are therefore always welcome.
- Arrange in groups: Groups of similar accessories, elements of the same size or in similar colors ensure harmony. You can also set topics for this.
- Melon rule: Decorative objects should be at least the size of a melon. Then every element gets the appropriate attention and does not perish.
- Uneven numbers: An odd number can always be arranged cooler and looks more attractive to the viewer.
- For mixing: Combine patterns, colors and materials. This is the only way your shelf will not look boring in the end.
- Stow: Many small or less decorative elements also want a place on your shelf? Then pack them in a nice storage box or in a basket!
Accessories options for decorating shelves
Decoration ideas for your shelf are like sand at the sea. However, we often do not know where exactly we should start. In the first step, choose the things you want to decorate your wall shelves with. It does not matter whether you want to add existing decorative elements or start with a completely empty shelf. However, a distinction must be made between functional decorations (storage boxes and baskets, plants, mirrors, a pin board, …) and purely decorative decorations such as decorative figures. You should weigh these up according to your needs and tastes.
The following home accessories are ideal:
- Flower pots
- Decorative figures and objects
- to shine
- candle holder
- Picture Frame
After selecting the elements, you deal with the colors. Make sure that everything looks harmonious in small groups! The books should match in color. Materials such as wood, porcelain, glass or metal should be coordinated. Furniture and textiles should also harmonize with the decoration on the bookshelf. So there is nothing standing in the way of a beautifully designed wall in your apartment!
Conjure up your own personal oasis of wellbeing with our tips! In the WestwingNow online shop you will find stylish shelves for every taste and every furnishing style. In the exclusive selection there is beautiful furniture, decoration and much more to discover. No matter whether you are looking for something for the children’s room, the kitchen or another room in your home. Your order will then be conveniently delivered to your home. We will of course leave the most beautiful tasks to you again: decorating and furnishing.
DIY: decorate the shelf
Open furniture can look messy. It doesn’t take much to make a shelf appear neat and sophisticated. In our step-by-step instructions, we will tell you how your bookshelf becomes a stylish statement piece in your home. This is how living is fun!
- Colour: Think of a suitable color palette before you start decorating. Try to stick to a maximum of three to four colors and bring each shade at least three times.
- Texture: Which materials and fabrics would you like to use? Find out which textures go well together and select the books you want to focus on.
- Styling time: Start with the books. Lay a few of them vertically, others horizontally and calmly form several layers. This is how you create a balanced, yet impressive overall picture.
- Mix: Every book is different ─ and that’s a good thing! Combine different sizes and stack both in height and in depth.
- Great decoration: First, integrate large accessories such as lanterns, boxes and bookends into your styling. Different cubic and geometric shapes can be combined great.
- Photos: Photos are often in the background, but still play an important role in the overall impression. Bring personality into your decoration and also integrate pictures of your loved ones.
- Small objects: It’s the little things that count! Give your styling the finishing touches. Scented candles, sculptures, trays or funny objects create variety!
- Natural elements: Natural elements are not just cut flowers. Cacti, palm trees, corals and succulents also ensure a natural freshness on your shelf. The green looks particularly beautiful in combination with wood!
Staging a shelf seasonally
Fancy wall shelves not only offer plenty of storage space for books & Co., but can also be used as a seasonal decorative element. With suitable accessories, you can decorate your shelf again and again depending on the occasion and can design it appealingly as you wish. Especially with wall shelves, however, it is important that you do not optically overload the piece of furniture. Due to its attachment, a wall shelf usually looks more fragile than a standing shelf. Therefore, you should avoid accessories that are too big or too heavy for them. Our interior experts will show you how you can fit your stand or wall shelf to suit the season.
Autumn in particular offers a variety of options for beautifully decorating the shelf without having to spend huge sums of money. Just keep your eyes open on your next walk in the forest. In addition to cones, branches and wood, you can find all kinds of beautiful things here. Arranged in a ceramic bowl, especially pine cones, nuts, berries and pine branches make a fantastic decoration on the bookshelf in the living room. Ornamental gourds can also be decorated alongside books in the bedroom, which also serve as practical bookends. What shouldn’t be missing on any wall shelf above the TV in autumn are candles in stylish glasses. Because they fill the ambience with warmth and cosiness. Also stick to the autumn colors red and brown – that alone triggers a cozy atmosphere.
DIY: tips for Christmas
Regardless of whether you are furnished in a modern, rustic or rather classic way: candles and fairy lights are real mood makers. They are an absolute must, especially at Christmas. Whether simple tea lights, glass lanterns or shiny lanterns – decorate the wall shelf in the living room for Christmas with a cozy sea of lights.
DIY Instagram: Interior influencers currently love everything that glitters and glows. You can also decorate your most beautiful Christmas baubles in transparent glass vases. With a chain of lights, your ladder shelf shines in a beautiful sheen even on gray days.
Ideas for spring and summer
In the warm season, you can impressively stage your shelves in just a few simple steps. Fresh flowers that are considered heralds of spring always go. Colorful tulip bouquets are particularly pretty, but also rustic bouquets with peonies and eucalyptus. While you drive very well with pastel shades in spring, you can also choose bright colors in summer. This ensures a good mood in the apartment!
More inspiration for decorating shelves
Reading tip: Would you like more ideas on how to decorate your home? Then click in our article! And we also have more on the subject of shelves: design shelves and living room shelves!