Are your flower pots ready for spring and summer? If you only find old or boring models at home, we now have the right DIY project for you: painting flower pots! The monotonous cachepots become an individual decorative object for your garden or balcony – and you are guaranteed to get in the summer mood! Let yourself be convinced and conjure up stylish and colorful flower pots with our simple step-by-step instructions. We’ll also tell you which colors are best for painting pots made of terracotta, metal or clay. Have fun doing handicrafts!
Which color is suitable for painting flower pots?
- For pots out Clay or terracotta are suitable Acrylic paint or Acrylic varnish especially good. Acrylic varnish looks a little more elegant. Both variants adhere very well to the more porous surfaces and are even waterproof after drying. So the painted flower pots are ready to be used outdoors!
- The same basically applies to glazed ceramic pots also for Metal flower pots. Sometimes, however, the acrylic paints do not adhere as well to the smooth surfaces. It is therefore important that you always clean the pots before painting and dry them well.
- They are also suitable as an alternative to glazed ceramic pots Porcelain brush pens. With these you can also design individual lettering on the pots.
- You can also use metal surfaces Permanent marker that are fixed with a water-based clear varnish.
- You get a velvety look on terracotta pots if you use them instead Chalk colors deploy. Also a great idea: you can easily help design a clay pot Table lacquerto write on it with chalk later!
Note: If in doubt, always take another look at the manufacturer’s information! In this way you will find out with certainty which materials your colors are suitable for.
DIY: paint flower pots and decorate with gold leaf
Would you like to give old pots a fresh, spring-like look? Then this upcycling is just right for you! In just three simple steps you can beautify the flower pots Pastel colors and gold leaf. Tones such as light yellow, mint green, lilac, light blue or pink are particularly beautiful. Basically, however, there are no limits to your creativity!
You need these utensils for the DIY flower pots:
- Spray paint
- Plant pots
- Masking tape
- Application milk
- Gold leaf
Instructions: Paint clay pots with graphic patterns
- Paint the flower pot
First you should spray the flower pot on both sides with the paint and let it dry.
- Set pattern
In the next step you mark graphic shapes in a design according to your taste with masking tape. Then apply the insert milk and let it dry for 10 minutes.
- Decorate with gold leaf
Now carefully apply the gold leaf. With the gold in place, all you need to do is remove the masking tape. Now plant the flower pot with plants of your choice!
Extra tip: Your beautiful new pots are also great as a stylish decoration for Easter!
Upcycling for the summer: painting flower pots out of tins
Would you like to beautify your balcony with creative outdoor planters? Then you can easily use tin cans for this! Here we explain how you can conjure up individual flower pots from this simple material.
What you need for upcycling
- Tin cans (without labels)
- A black marker
- A cordless drill
- duct tape
- A scissors
- Different colors of your choice
- Parcel cord
Painting flower pots – it’s that easy!
- Lay out your space for handicrafts with a suitable mat so that you don’t stain anything. An old newspaper or a piece of wrapping paper is ideal.
- Use a permanent marker to mark the two drill holes on the tin can for the suspension.
- Now it’s time to drill holes! Here you can use a cordless screwdriver or a classic screwdriver to help. You can also carefully drill the holes in the sheet metal with a corkscrew.
- Now cover the pattern on the can with the adhesive tape – there are absolutely no limits here. Be creative!
- Now the brush is swung: To upcycling the cans, paint them with bright colors. Then let it dry for around 20 minutes.
- Peel off the adhesive tape and thread the packaging tape through the pre-drilled holes, tie a knot – done!
- Decorate your painted flower pots with beautiful plants and you are ready for summer.
Let summer move in on your balcony or terrace with our tips for your upcycling cans. Then you can hang the painted flower pots on the balcony railing or mount them on a wall of your terrace, for example using a wall shelf. Evergreen or brightly colored flowers such as bromeliad & Co. create a summery flair in your outdoor area.
Painting flower pots: more ideas for beautiful motifs
Of course there are many other ways to spruce up your old flower pots. We have therefore put together a list for your inspiration:
- Use acrylic paints to paint summer floral patterns on the pots
- Perfect for minimalists: striped flower pots in black and white
- Paint faces to match the Faceline trend
- For handicrafts with children: Draw animal faces
- Label the flower pot with cool sayings
- Paint colorful boho patterns on the pot
Extra tip: Painting flower pots is also a lot of fun for children. So perfect for a handicraft lunch together or a children’s birthday party! The creative works of art are also suitable as an individual gift idea for Easter!
Reading tip: Would you like to grow herbs and vegetables on your terrace or balcony? Then take a look at our articles on urban gardening and gardening for beginners! You can of course also find more DIY ideas here.